Friday 24 August 2012

Part 2 - The Basing Guide.

Here is the follow up basing method guide. As my camera batteries ran out during the painting guide I decided to quickly knock off another base of horse to use for this, so here is my third base of ECW horse and a description of how I base them up.  I should stress that I regard my units more as playing pieces in a board game sense and as such I like attach labels in order to avoid any book keeping during games. I could of course attach labels to the underside of bases but in order to avoid any damage to my 6mm figures I use the small strip along the back edge.

OK, having painted the unit and cut down the individual figures I coat the base in PVA carefully with a brush as shown in the previous post. I then place each figure into the glue, brushing a little around each base as I go.


Once all the figures are in place I then sprinkle over my mix of 50% fine grit and 50% 'earth flock' before leaving to dry for several hours at least. Once the excess is removed the base is ready for painting and finishing.



Next I use Citadel 'Vermin Brown' to colour areas of the base. I thin it down so that it drys leaving nly a light tint on the raised stone areas. Generally I paint around 50% of the base and also work it carefully between the figures.


Next I glue on my printed label. This unit is a 4 'block' horse unit, 'Trained' and who charge  at the trot.


Now the static grass. I still use Citadel and I like it, you may of course prefer the shorter blade static grass as sold by Baccus especially for 6mm figures. Again I apply this in carefully placed areas to contrast with the brown, using a fine damp brush to get between and under the horses.


Finally a light dry brush of 'Linen' over the stonework and it's done!


I would say the painting of a base takes around an hour and a quarter maybe, usually in two short sessions. The basing probably adds another half hour in short stages between drying.

The project so far.

In three weeks or so I have painted 7 bases, 4 foot and 3 horse so good going, that's between a base of Napoleonic Hussars and working on more terrain bits. I have also finished the pike block for what will be a 'Pike Heavy' unit, these will have 18 pikemen, 16 muskets plus the 4 command figures and will represent units where the ideal ratio of approx 2 to 1 has not been achieved. I'm just waiting on more goodies to arrive from Baccus including artillery, dragoons and command figures. After a few more foot units I want to do more horse bases, including a base of Parliamentarian cuirassiers. Extra figures from the pack will be incorporated into my planned Ruperts Lifeguard, which will also feature some of the heavily armoured chaps as befits their noble status, mixed with the standard back and breast/ pot figures. Oh, and if you spot a few of the larger brethren lurking in the background I'm also painting a 12 figure horse unit for 'Foy' of the excellent 'Prometheus in Aspic' blog, wonderful 20mm ECW figures packed full of character. Should be a joy to paint.

A few pics of the 7 bases so far.





Edit: Added a pic of my Commands & Colours game board, set up for a Napoleonic game. The board is marked up in a hex grid with yellow dots at the points only. New ECW buildings and terrain will be added in due course.
.


5 comments:

  1. I really admire your 6mm painting skills. Good job.

    As I understand it, you will use these bases for playing modified C&C rules. Your bases are 60mm x 60mm, but the C&C hexes are somewhat smaller 56mm x 56 mm. Will this not be a problem on the playing board?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,
    Thank you for the comment. I have added a couple of images of my C&C board that I use for Napoleonics. As you can see its a standard 9 x 13 hex grid, divided into 3 sections etc, but made up of larger hexes,95mm. The hex grid is marked only in 'points' using yellow dots.

    Cheers,
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee,

      Brilliant concept!

      Will you at some point publish all specifications for the board, bases, markings, 6mm figures and so on?

      I am very interested in the English Civil War and would like to use this battle setup for a campaign game adapted to the board game 'Unhappy King Charles'.

      Michael

      Delete
  3. Your C&C game surface is just brilliant. I really like the use of the dots to indicate the hex points as its nowhere near as jarring as seeing all the lines in a typical hex mat. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curt. A lot of thought went into that surface as I was not keen on hex grids at first, but C&C swayed it for me!

      Cheers,
      Lee.

      Delete