Friday 10 August 2012

Another base & thoughts on the rules.

Regiment number 3 is complete, a green coated unit this time. I now need to think about what I need to add to the black strip on the rear of each base. I have been considering painting each individual Regimental name on the base (the Colonels name) in order to give each base some identity. I think this is what I will do, although leaving them as generic bases of Foot would be an alternative option. So my research for today will be to find accurate lists of the units comprising the Oxford Army and Essex's. Flags may need to be changed on these first three units.

'Commands & Colors'
As previously mentioned my intention is to play my games to adpated C&C rules, which is a hex based boardgame system as I use for Napoleonics. I hope to be able to present 'Foy's' adaptations here shortly, but they look very good with a nice period feel. One idea Foy has incorporated into the rules is the use of 'Chance Cards' to inject some Civil War specific unexpected events into the game such as powder explosions, religious zeal, divided loyalty etc, which look set to add some uncertainty and fun into the games.

The rear strip will show the strength of the units in C&CN style 'blocks', I am thinking 3 for a small undersized Foot regiment (100 to 300 men), 4 for a medium size unit (300 to 400) and 5 for a large unit (400 to 600). very large regiments such as Essex's own Foot Regiment can be represented by 2 bases. Next is the ratio of muskets to pikes. We are working on the basis that most around this time were around the 2:1 ratio, not always the case I know, but Foy does distinguish 'Pike heavy' bases, which have greater impact in melee combat, less so when firing. This should be workable. So 'pike heavy' bases will be marked as such and will include an extra strip of pikemen. I think there may also be bases of 'commanded' musketeers as well as dragoons in due course. I'm just about to paint the first horse unit, so will discuss the matter of how we represent the different training methods in due course. I should point out here that all of the research and work in preparing the C&C/ECW adaptions is that of my good internet friend Tony/ 'Foy' who introduced me to the Commands and Colors rule system, for which I am eternally grateful as it has revolutionised my hobby and allowed me to return to the fun of playing wargames at a time when I was about ready to give up again.




No comments:

Post a Comment